Monday, December 14, 2009

Dog Collar Bandanas


Mom has had people interested in the scarves she makes for us.  They are pretty simple to make.  If you would like to try them, here are the instructions.  If any questions, just let us know(or let Mom know)

1. Depending on size of pet - cut out a piece of material that will fit the size of the pet. I figured about half way around the collar or a bit less.   I used a triangle shape. At the top square off the points and make sure they are deep enough so that when it is folded down there is room for the collar to go through. I squared off about 4 inches at the top.To make it reversible use 2 different materials.





2. Fold in the sides of the squared off ends about 3/8 inch and top stitch so they won't ravel.



3.  Then fold down the top squared off part so the squared off ends are even. Sew both sides and then across the bottom of the folded down piece. Do this with both pieces of material.




4.  Pin right sides together and sew about 1/4 inch in from the 2 sides of the triangle shape.

Then turn right sides out and edge stitch the triangle part.



6. .Stitch along the very top of the scarf to join front to back. Then stitch along the bottom of the turned over piece. This will create the tube for the collar to slide into. Need to make sure enough space is allowed so the width of the collar can slip thru. This is figured at the beginning of the process.  Depth
depends on how wide the collar is.

This shows both sides of the finished scarf.

All the sewing & waiting around for Mom to finish the scarf just made Sasha tired.  Actually she is
conserving her energy because Mom was going to take us for a walk when she finished it.



Here I am modeling my Christmas puppy scarf.  There are lots of different doggie pics on the scarf, Labs, Cockers, Doxies, etc but NO Schnoodles.  What is with that?? Don't we count??

Anyhow, we like our scarves & Mom enjoys making things.  Sometimes she even sells stuff.

PS this is Mom----These collar bandanas are pretty simple.  I have seen others at Craft Fairs that have 2 colors on each side.  The collar band is made from the material used on the reverse side.  I saw those on the internet. 

Thanks for visiting.
Tailwags
 Ernie & Sasha

21 comments:

  1. Sew?
    I'm not familiar with that word! Does it involve hammers and nails? :)

    They do look really nice! Where did you find the puppy fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our Mom also uses hammers, nails, chainsaws & stuff like that. Found it at the fabric store.
    Dad says she is multi talented.
    Thanks for visiting JD
    Tailwags
    Ernie & Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  3. You pups sure make beautiful models! Your mom is very nice for sharing her secret dog scarves. They are very fashionable! I will have to convince my human to make me one.

    Suka

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom khan do buttons, seams, MAYBE a hem -

    After that.......

    Tank woo fur sharing your skharves!

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Guys,

    We love your bandannas! Too cute! Now you're ready for Christmas!

    Love,
    Riley and Star.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow they are really really cool ,

    I am going to have to ask a grown up to help me

    love Sirius xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ho ho ho! That would look nice on Oreo and Coffee, I'm gonna buy some materials now, anyway it's simple to make. Thanks for showing it.

    AL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deaw Ewnie and Sasha
    you awe the vewy best models fow those bootiful bandanas youw Mom makes..it was awfully sweet of hew to tell us how to make them.
    smoochie kisses
    ASTA

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love your Bandanna's so festive I have not seen that puppy fabric before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ernie & Sasha,
    Your mom is very talented! Those bandanas are so cute! Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ernie and Sasha
    Your such good modelers of the scarfs your mom makes.
    And she does such a terrific job!
    Thank you for sharing
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, those are really great scarves! Your Mom did a pawesome job.

    Love,
    Teddy Bear

    ReplyDelete
  13. You is a furry talented PURRson momma. We think that you should give lessons and tell our momma not to be so skeered of the sewing machine that has been sitting in the fambly room for SIX years with no one opening it up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey.. E and S
    You known I LOVE wearing bandanas and thanks for finally teaching my mom. Now if I can only get her to actually do it.

    You guys look fabulous.
    norwood

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh cute!! Loved seeing them on. I have a nice one from the Art Bark Fest Fundraiser this past summer. Great colors!
    Thanks for sharing!!!!

    Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
    Sierra Rose

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the tutorial. I want to make some of those for my guys. Tying bandanas on with all that curly hair can be a mess. These are nice and neat. I'll put a link on Dogs-N-More so everyone can see how to make them.

    You guys look very festive!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your mom is so creative and clever!
    Your collar bandanas are just beautiful!

    Love ya lots,
    Maggie and Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  18. hey kiddos, your mom is so good at making things for you. you're lucky. our mom won't sew, or so! she's lame, but she spends lot of money to buy us special bandanas. they aren't as cool as your collar bandanas though. your mom is awesome!

    woofs.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cool looking bandanas! I wish I would like them on myself...except it is too much like clothes and I definitely don't like clothes!

    Hugs,
    CoCo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Check out Dogs-N-More blog. You'll see some familiar pictures there. Thanks for helping.

    ReplyDelete